Like I posted yesterday, I went to work out in the afternoon. It was great but my muscles definitely feel it today.
While I was working out I came to think about my eyes and how wonderful it was for me to be able to work out without worrying about glasses or contacts. So, that got me to think that maybe others would like to read about how I got my new eyes because it wasn't always this way.
I was cursed with a bad set of eyes ever since I was a kid and I got my first pair of glasses when I was ten. I hated them from there on! I begged my parents for contact lenses for years and not until the 7th grade my parents thought I was old enough to care ane wear contacts.
Contacts were awesome but they were a hassle as well. My eye sight was -3,75 and I didn't really see much. Going to a public pool was horrible because if I didn't wear my contacts or glasses I ended chatting up a total strainger because I couldn't see where my friends were. But chlorine and contacts weren't a great idea either.
So I kept dreaming of laser surgery for years and thought that I would have the surgery done once I had more money. Then last spring 2011 I got so fed up with my glasses (and paying for new contacts and solution for every month) that I took a loan to afford the surgery. That was the best decision I have ever made! I should have taken the loan long time ago and had the surgery because it has made my life so much easier.
Before I was able to book the date for the procedure, I had to have a preliminary exam for my eyes to see that I was a good candidate for the surgery. The exam didn't hurt at all but they did have to dilate my eyes which meant that I couldn't see very close for the rest of the day and my eyes didn't like any bright light. The doctor said my eyes were perfect for the surgery and the risks should be fairly minimum. My eye sight had stayed pretty much the same for years and that was good because once they corrected them, the possibility for me to have perfect vision was better.
To prepare for the operation I wasn't allowed to wear my contacts for a week before the surgery. That was tough for me because I usually didn't leave the house with my glasses on but I managed through because I kept thinking that soon I didn't need the glasses at all.
Then the magical day of May 25th came around and I went to Medilaser to have my surgery. I had scheduled to have the surgery on my vacation (I had one week off) because I wanted to be able to rest well after the procedure. I walked to the doctors office and looked at all pretty things like sun, trees and flowers. I thought that if I were to lose my eyesight completely (that doesn't happen but the thought just crossed my mind) I would have at least seen pretty things before everything went black.
My doctor had said that I could come half an hour earlier if I needed any drugs to calm me down but I didn't need anything. I knew the risks and benefits of the surgery (blindness doesn't happen). I was so ready! I just wanted them to start lazering me already!
So there I was on the special operating table and first the doctor put an anesthetic eye drop to my eye. After that they somehow sucked eyeball up. This was the only uncomfortable moment of the whole surgery. I couldn't see anything and the suction felt funny but it didn't hurt. After that the doctor cut a thin, circular flap in the cornea of my eye. Then it was laser time! And within seconds he was done with my right eye and then he repeated the same on the left eye.
I was able to see right away but everything looked bit foggy. I got a pair of protective goggles to wear for the first day and then every night for a week. They were funny alien looking goggles as you can see.

After the surgery I just took it easy. My doctor told me that I wasn't allowed to wear make up or work out for a week. I also had two different kind of eye drops to use; antibiotic one and just normal moisturizing one. The first couple days I had a feeling like I had sand in my eyes but that went away.
My left eye healed quicker and I was able to see perfect just in few days. My right eye got me worried because I wasn't able to see as well with it. I went to see my doctor for a post surgery check up and the doctor took one look at my right eye and said that it was very dry compared to the left one and that caused the feeling of not able to see as well. So I just had to use more eye drops. Today my vision is perfect 0 in both my eyes and I don't need eye drops that often anymore.
Healing time varies from person to person. My eyes took about 2 months to heal but I know people who could see perfect right after the surgery, then there are people whose eyes took 6 months to heal properly.
But bottom line is that it is very worth it and I love my new eyes. I wish I had my eyes done when I was ten.
If you are considering this surgery and you have any questions, I'm glad to answer them.
No comments:
Post a Comment