Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dinner time / Sweet Potatoe-Carrot Soup

Good morning!

Oh, my goodness! I ate so much Halloween candy that my teeth are probably all rotten and my body is screaming for some real nutrients. Before I start eating Christmas chocolates, I wanted to make something healthy to eat (*wink*).
So, last night I whipped up a hearty fall time soup from few ingredients I had in the fridge. I didn't have a recipe that I followed and I just kinda winged it.

The soup turned out great! Scott even said it was delicious and he is probably the worst food critic in the world. He will say flat out if something doesn't taste good. If you think Gordon Ramsey is bad, you haven't served food to Scott. But honesty doesn't really bother me because I much rather know if something doesn't taste right than serving crap and people lying to my face, saying it tastes great. I think I learned also from my mom that food needs to taste right and look pretty before you can serve it.


For this yummy soup you will need:
- one big sweet potatoe
- couple carrots
- one big onion
- couple gloves of garlic
- 3 dl heavy cream (1 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp of each; dried or fresh tarragon, rosmary, parsley
- 2 tsp dried smoked red pepper powder
- salt and pepper to taste

Peel sweet potatoe and carrots. Chop them up into fairly little pieces.
Bring a potful of water to a boil and put the vegetables in the water. Let them boil on medium heat until soft.

While the vegetables are boiling, chop up the onion and garlic and sauté them on a pan with some olive oil. After the onion and garlic is almost done turn off the stove. Add all the herbs/spices and mix it a little.
I figured that the little heat that is left from sautéing onions/garlic, will help to enchance the flavors of all the herbs. This way you have the "seasoning mix" ready for your soup.

Once the vegetables are soft, drain half of the water out. Add the seasoning mix and heavy cream to the vegetables. Mix the soup with a mixer until smooth. Check the taste and add any spice if necessary.

I served the soup with yummy bread. Scott had also some store bought ribs. He said that they tasted good with the soup. I wish I would have had some sunflower- or pumpkin seeds to garnish the soup with. Maybe I will do that next time.

Anyway, I better get to work now. Feels funny to write about dinner in the morning but I didn't have time last night. Better late than never...

Have a happy day!

1 comment: