Monday, December 19, 2011

Handmade / Doggie Treats

Ho Ho Ho!

Since there are still 4 more days till Christmas eve, here's a good and quick handmade present idea for all your furry friends; Doggie Treats. These take about an hour to make, the ingredients are cheap and the treats taste good (*Jinx loves them*). I  got this recipe from the awesome book called "Oi, ihana joulukuu".


You only need a little over a cup of beef stock, 3 tbls cooking oil, little less than a cup of rolled rye (or oats) and about 2 ½ cups of flour (mix half whole wheat and half regular). This time I also put in about 6 tbls of dried mint for extra flavor and to fight against a bad doggie breath.


First you mix in the beef stock with oil and the oats, then gradually add all the flour. The dough should be fairly stiff. I added extra flour on mine.


Then you just roll out the dough. I added some rolled oats on the top and bottom of my dough when I was rolling it out because they give the treats more rustic look. Then I just took out shapes with cookie cutters. I ordered this bone shaped cutter online just for these doggie treats.


After cutting out all the cookies, you place them on a lined cooking sheet. Bake at 175C / 345 F for about 30 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the treats to dry up in the heat of the oven.  Treats should be crispy.


Jinx was begging the whole time I was baking his treats.


Poor Jinx doesn't get to eat all the treats though. I wrapped up about a half of them to give out to our friends' dogs. Here are the baked treats ready to be given out. Little left over pieces of ribbon are perfect to tie up the treats.



I put some of the treats in paper bags and I wrote a poem to go with it too. The furry receiver of this bag will definitely be happy!


Happy baking and a Have great Monday! I won't be baking today because I have my Ass-Thighs-Abs exercise class to attend to. Since there will be a bit of break from working out due to the Holidays, I need to get my sweat on today (*wink*).

No comments:

Post a Comment