Thursday, January 12, 2012

Psychology Of Color

Happy Thursday!!

If you didn't know, I love scarves. They are an easy accessory to any outfit. I have a ton of scarves but few of them are my favorites. I really like this colorful scarf that I bought from H&M last summer. It is made out of soft cotton, so it doesn't itch or bother your neck. But that is not the only reason why I like it. The main reason is that it matches any colored outfit I'm wearing.

I have been thinking about different colors for few days now, and the fact how they make me feel. For example; some days I don't feel like wearing a red shirt and another day that same red shirt feels like the only option I could possible think of. It doesn't make any sense but I guess your intuition knows what you need that day. Same thing goes with food. I have days when I am craving for carrots or apples, and then few days later I could not be any less interested eating them. I have come to the conclusion that my body tells me what vitamins and minerals I'm lacking and once I eat things that I was missing, the craving goes away. I'm not sure if I'm right about this theory but it works for me (*wink*). 


But back to colors again. It has been studied that different colors can affect your mood. Different colors are made out of different lengths of wavelengths of light. When human eye sees different colors, the wavelengths activate different parts of our brain and that makes us feel different emotions and moods depending on the color we see.

I got so interested about different colors that I actually researched them from the internet. Here's a list of the most common colors with the moods they create and things that colors are most often associated with. I also listed the day when you should wear and surround yourself with certain color. I read that ancient Indian people created Ayurvedic medicine which is the knowledge for long life. They believe that certain colors, food and exercises help you to live longer and healthier. 

Red is the color that is often associated with fire, blood, energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Red stimulates your body and increases your blood circulation. It also enhances human metabolism. Red is also very intense color for your emotions. It also indicates courage. Wear red on the days when you feel like you need encouragement. Red is Tuesday's color.


Yellow is the color of sunshine. It is most commonly associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy. Yellow produces a warming effect and arouses cheerfulness. Yellow also stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy. When you want some ones attention or you want to appear cheerful, wear yellow but be aware that yellow is sometimes considered to be bit "childish" because it is unstable and spontaneous. Yellow is the color for Sunday.



Blue is the color of the sky and lakes. It is often associated with depth, cleanliness and stability. Blue symbolizes trust, loyalty, confidence, intelligence, faith and truth. Blue is considered to be very beneficial to the mind and body. It has been studied that color blue suppresses appetite and slows human metabolism. Blue produces a calming effect, especially lighter shades of clue can be beneficial for insomnia because it calms our mind and makes us rest easier. Blue is the color for Wednesday. 


Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and happiness. It stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange is said to increase the craving for food as well as to help to adjust to changes. It also can strengthen your immune system. Orange is a great anti-depressant because it relieves feelings of self-pity and lack of self-worth.



Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes everything new like growth, freshness, and fertility. Green has great healing power and it is also associated with safety and harmony. It is the most restful color for the human eye because it has been studied that looking at color green can improve vision. Green relaxes our muscles and helps us breath deeper and slower. Friday is the day of green.


Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. Purple is often associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, mystery, and magic. It is also the color of good judgement. Purple helps to activate creativity and it is a great color to surround yourself for meditation but make sure to use lighter shades of purple because dark purple can cause frustration. Purple is also very antiseptic color and can help sunburns. It also suppresses hunger and balances metabolism. Purple is also the color for Thursday.


White is the color of snow, angels and hospitals. It is associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. It is often considered to be the color of perfection. White means kindness, cleanliness and pure love. Use white when you want a fresh start and to clear clutter. Too much white can make you feel isolated and cold. Monday's color is white.


Black is associated with power, elegance, formality, death and mystery. Black is often misunderstood and thought mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown. It is usually given a negative meaning to things, for example black humor or blacklist. But black also denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and most prestigious of all colors. Black can be used to prepare for unknown, think of a black suit when you are going to job interview for example. It will make you look formal and it will slim your figure as well. Saturday's color is black.


Isn't this interesting? I think there must be some truth to this. I was born on a Thursday and I have always been drawn to color purple which is the color for Thursdays. Purple has been my go-to color most of my life and then I have seasonal colors that vary from month to month or even daily.

How to use colors then?
You can purposely wear different color depending how you would like to feel. Soon you will notice that your intuition will start guiding you towards certain colors depending what you need at the moment.
At home you can decorate a room with certain colors to make it to have a certain feel. Just add couple pillows and a blanket, maybe some fresh flowers. That way you don't have to paint the whole room to different color.
Here's a good idea too! Print out a picture of your choice that has mostly the color which effects you would like to have that day. Then hang the picture at your desk at work. For example something yellow, like a picture of a sun flower. Then glance at the picture when you are in a need of energy or ideas for your project. Feel free to borrow the pictures I have on this post if you like.
And don't forget to eat colorful too! Oranges, green beans, bananas, cauliflower, blueberries, tomatoes and eggplants for example. Your body will thank you because different colored vegetables and fruits have different vitamins and minerals in them depending on the color.



Whatever your color might be, I wish everybody a colorful day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment