Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bake My Day / Rocky Road

Hi there!

I'm not a big fan of Easter. That's why I haven't been posting any Easter crafts or recipes. It is nice to have four days off from work (*wohoo*) but other than that it doesn't get me excited the same way than Christmas or Halloween. Easter is made to be too pastel and plastic now days! I hated the Easter bunny and Easter baskets in the USA. Thank goodness we don't have them in Finland yet. It is like people forgot the meaning of Easter all together. Easter foods don't get me super excited either. Lamb is always good as well as chocolate but I can serve them anytime of the year, so what's the big deal.


Anyway, my point today was to share a great and quick dessert recipe that I learned from my "evil" friend Mira. She brought us this treat to work one day and everybody in the office was hooked right away. I'm talking about something super yummy and super sweet! This will definitely calm down your sweet tooth for a while (and piss of your dentist).

Good thing about this treat is the fact that the ingredients are so common that you usually have them in your pantry at all times. Thus you can make it anytime. This dessert is also great because it doesn't need baking. It only needs to be cooled for a little bit. So, when you are pressed for time, you can make this either before hand (e.g day before because it stores well in the fridge) or you can just whip it up an hour before you need it.

And since it happens to be Easter, you are most likely obligated to visit your family at some point. But you probably don't want to show up empty handed, right? Yes, the grown up thing is to bring something with you. Believe me. So, why not to take a hike to the yummiest road to chocolate heaven. Let's go to Rocky Road and impress everyone with this fancy looking treat along the way (*wink*).

ROCKY ROAD

Ingredients:
- 200g chocolate (7 oz)
- ½dl raisins (0,2 cups)
- 1dl nuts (0,4 cups)
- 100g marshmallows (3,5 oz)

Break up chocolate into pieces and place in a glass bowl, melt in microwave oven on high for approximately 1 minute 30 seconds (900-1000w) stir, if still not fully melted microwave for another 20 seconds.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl, pour in melted chocolate. Mix well.
Pour mixture into a baking sheet lined with wax/baking paper, smooth out mixture and press down gently. Refrigerate until firm approximately 2 hours.
Cut into squares. Enjoy!


I didn't feel like using raisins, so I used dried blueberries instead. I also cut up the marshmallows smaller because it is easier to eat that way. My choice of nuts was cashews. I also broke them up into smaller pieces.

I used organic milk chocolate and dark chocolate.


After melting the chocolate in the microwave, I mixed in the other ingredients that I had prepped before hand.

After mixing, I spread the mixture onto a baking pan that I had lined with parchment paper. Then I just  put the whole pan in the fridge.

After the mixture had cooled and hardened, I cut it up in bite size squares.


Pure yummyness!


There you go! A great dessert recipe that everyone will love. Well, almost everyone. Make sure that no one is allergic to nuts (*not laughing*). Other than that, serve with a big glass of cold milk or tall glass of bubbly. Cheers and Happy Holy Thursday!

2 comments: