Thursday, September 6, 2012

This And That Of Thursday

Howdy and Happy Makeup Free Day!

Yes, Finland is celebrating makeup free day today. Basically anyone can join by not wearing any makeup today. This makeup free movement is hosted by Nordic swan. For people who don't know what Nordic swan is, here's a short introduction:
The Nordic Ecolabel or Nordic swan is the official sustainability ecolabel for the Nordic countries, introduced by the Nordic Council of Ministers. This is done by a voluntary license system where the applicant agrees to follow a certain criteria set outlined by the Nordic Ecolabelling in cooperation with stakeholders. These criteria include environmental, quality and health arguments. The criteria levels promote products and services belonging to the most environmentally sound and take into account factors such as free trade and proportionality (cost vs. benefits).

Basically Nordic swan wants to people to think about the amount of cosmetics used daily as well as the type of cosmetics. At end of day when you wash your face, some of the makeup will eventually drain to the nature. Thus it is not quite the same, what cosmetic products are used. Nordic swan recommends the use of organic and bio friendly products. Not only it is good for the nature, it is also good for your own well being.

I wanted to support the makeup free day and went sans makeup today. Thank goodness I'm pretty with or without makeup (*ha ha ha, not quite*).

 

 

Besides celebrating makeup free day, I'm very excited about my new dress. Remember when back in March I was drooling over a lace dress worn by actress Milla Jovovich. Well, I have found my own lace dress that I love. It fits me like a glove and I feel great in it. My dress is not exactly the same than Milla's but it is much the same idea.

I got my dress from Betsy&Adam and it was under $100. It is black lace on a nude thin fabric. Right now I only have pictures of my dress hanging on a hanger and they definitely don't do justice to the dress. I'll promise to post more pics once I'm wearing the dress. I just need a good party to go to...




And then few views from around town. First pic is from a cemetery in downtown Kuopio. It is a special place because it has over 600 graves that are the final resting place for Finnish soldiers who died in the Winter and Continuation wars back in 1939-1945. I was walking through the cemetery the other day and snapped a picture of these pretty pink flowers that the city of Kuopio had planted on the graves.


My second landscape picture is from Puijo. I love the area of Puijo and I often walk/jog around there with Jinx. This picture is from the other night. I stopped to eat few sea-buckthorn berries and snapped a picture.


Last but not least... I saw this funny Moomin comic in the news paper. This is exactly how I feel about up coming winter.
Muumintroll says "Winter is horrible. Skiing and cold and Mr. Virkkunen". Moominpappa replies "Family! This winter we will sleep a proper winter sleep".

I want to withdraw myself to hibernation as the weather is getting cold and the days are darker. I think I will fall asleep after Halloween, then get up to eat a Christmas dinner and go back to sleep until April. That would be great!!


I love how Moomintroll looks angry in this picture. I have felt like that all week because I have had so much crap going on. I have said to my friends that I'm going to have terrible wrinkles if I keep frowning so much. I might have to print out this Moomin picture to remind me not to frown (*giggle*).

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Moomin & you - I will sleep through winter with you! Though to be honest after being outside working for a few months of 90/100 degree days - I'm ready for the cool weather!

    That dress is so pretty! & You look fabulous without make up! Your hair is getting so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to sleep soon. I'm sleepy all the time because we get very little sun light now days. I hate the darkness in Finland.

    Thanks! Sometimes I do go without makeup. But I like mascara a lot because my eye lashes are so pale.

    ReplyDelete