Monday, December 10, 2012

Bake My Day / Red Velvet Snowballs

Check out what I decided to bake last night; Red Velvet Snowballs! I found this simple recipe online just by accident. 

I guess these cookies are very common in other parts of the world since they are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies as well as Russian Tea Cakes. I have never had them before, so I just had to try them out. These seem to be perfect for Christmas.

Here is what you will need to make them:
-1 cup butter, softened (250g)
-1 cup powdered sugar plus extra for rolling (2,5dl) 
-1 tsp almond extract 
-2 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder 
-1 tbsp red food coloring 
-2 cups flour (5dl) 
-1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (2,5dl)
First preheat the oven to 325F/165C and line baking sheet with parchment. Then chop up the toasted pecans.

Cream together butter and powdered sugar.


Add food coloring, almond extract and cocoa powder. Mix well.

Add flour and pecans. Roll into generous 1-inch balls and place them on the baking sheet.



 

Ready to be baked for 20 minutes.

After baking allow the cookies to cool off for a little bit before rolling them in powdered sugar.

I rolled the cookies in powdered sugar twice because because the first sugaring melts around the warm cookie and it doesn't look like a snowball.


After the second coat of powdered sugar the cookies are ready to be eaten.

Gorgeous red inside and sugary white outside!

We don't really have a traditional cookie like this in Finland, so when I took these cookies to work today, everyone thought they were really interesting yet yummy. 

I want to give a shout out to my coworkers (*you guys are awesome*). They are the ones who are always forced to eat my baking because I can't keep all the cookies, pies and breads at home. My husband isn't that fond of my baking. I guess I do it too often, so it isn't a treat any more. Don't get me wrong, he eats everything I bake and he loves them but there's a limit to everything. You can't have too much of a good thing or it's not good anymore. I guess I should ask Santa for a bigger freezer, so I could save some of my baking for later.

Anyway, no baking tonight. I'm just chilling at home and wondering how quickly this month has gone. I still want to have my annual Elf Night as well as go to church to sing Christmas carols. I also haven't found a perfect wreath I want to hang on our door or finished decorating the house. So many fun things to do but so little time left!

I better get to bed soon, so I will have tons of energy for tomorrow. Maybe after work I could make a wreath if I don't find a good one from a store. Good night all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment