Hello
Today is December 6th which is also known as the Finnish independence day. When I think of our independence day I think of appreciation, peace, celebration, honor and solemn. It is a quiet and calm day of everyone taking a moment to thank our grand fathers' for their fight to keep this beautiful land independent. If you want know more how Finland became independent, read my last year's post about it.
Since our family is half Finnish and half American (*my husband is American*) we are lucky to get to celebrate both countries' independence days. My experience with both cultures actually helps me to describe the Finnish independence day to foreigners easier because I tell them that our independence day is the total opposite of the American independence day.
Fourth of July in America is full of cheer, fireworks and relaxed barbeques in the middle of hot summer.
Since our celebration of independence in Finland happens to fall on the coldest and darkest time of the year, people stay in, light candles and quietly enjoy the day off. Many people prepare for the Christmas ahead by baking gingerbread cookies and writing Christmas cards.
This morning I enjoyed a long sleep and after I had gotten myself out of the bed, I took Jinx out for a quick walk. I was amazed by a gorgeous sunrise as soon as I stepped outside. Since it has been snowing the past couple of days, the ground glistened with soft powdery snow. Finnish flags were sitting still in their poles because it wasn't windy at all. There were no other people in sight, so I could just stop and breath in the crispy morning air. While Jinx was busy sniffing up squirrel tracks, I took few pictures to share with you guys. Enjoy!
P.S. Even Google is celebrating the Finnish independence day. Check out their Google-logo from today!





No comments:
Post a Comment