Friday, March 15, 2013

Travel The World / Vuokatti

Hello!

As I told you, we are taking a trip to Vuokatti this weekend. It will be a ton fun! Vuokatti is known for a versatile and year-round center of tourism and sports. Vuokatti is the first city in the world to have a ski tunnel and an indoor snowboarding half-pipe, both of which make it possible to ski and snowboard in the summer when in Vuokatti.


But no need for indoor skiing since we still have a lot snow on the ground in Finland, especially more north you go. Vuokatti belongs to the Local District of Sotkamo (*population close to 11000*) and it is located at a distance of about 7 km from the center of Sotkamo. We will have about 3 hour drive ahead of us from Kuopio to Vuokatti.

Here's a map of the slopes at Vuokatti. I'm not sure if I have mentioned before but I'm terrible snowboarder. I do have my own board, and I have tried boarding at the Rockies in the US but I'm not very good at it. I can barely link my turns. Vuokatti is nothing compared to the Rockies (*size wise*) but it might be actually good for me since I haven't been snowboarding in ages.


Besides winter sports, you can also do many other things at Vuokatti. There is a big swimming hall / spa that offers many different kind of saunas, pools and spa services. You can also go bowling or visit a husky center that offers husky rides. So many things to do, yet so little time to do it (*laugh*). 


All pictures in this post are from Vuokatti's own website.

Have a great Friday folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment