Friday, September 30, 2011

Read Me / How To Marry A Finnish Girl

Oh, this sounds funny! I want to read it. I hope my library gets a copy soon because my budget doesn't allow me to buy it right now.
What is it? It is a guide to marrying a Finnish girl! The author is an American guy (Phil Schwarzmann) who is living in Finland and has a Finnish girlfriend.

I first read about this book yesterday when I saw a news article about it on Iltalehti (it is a Finnish tabloid). I giggled so hard after reading the article! I then googled the book and found an actual webpage for it. Check it out because it is in English unlike the Iltalehti article.
I'm not sure how a guy, who is not married to a Finn, can write a self help book about marrying a Finn but I still want to read the book. Heck! I'm married to an American. I want to know if my husband used any of this guy's tricks on me. If he didn't and it was really me catching him, I should probably write a book called "How to marry an American". All European girls would love to read my book (*wink*).

The writer says that his book will do all this:
-Make Out with Your First Finnish Girl in 24 Hours (or less!)
-Move to Finland in a city that doesn’t contain the word “poo” (my note; like the city Espoo)
-Land a Job that Makes Your Finnish In-Laws Proud
-Not Only Speak Finnish Fluently, but Teach it too
-Get on the Front Page of a Major Finnish Tabloid
-Identify a Finn on holiday in the Canary Islands

Ok, I didn't kiss Scott within 24 hours of meeting him but we did move to Finland and the name of the city doesn't end in "poo". Scott doesn't have job yet because he is still in school (almost an engineer) but he does speak good Finnish and my family is very proud of him for that. The most funny thing is that Scott was actually on the cover of Savon Sanomat the first month we moved to Finland. Savon Sanomat is a major news paper in our region of Finland. HILARIOUS! But this book wasn't out when we first met (back in 1999), so he was able to charm me without a book. That's pretty good!

I will start to follow Phil Schwarzmann's blog because he seems to be funny. And I think I have a lot in common with him even though I'm a Finn and he is an American. But I am the worst Finn in the world. Anyway, he says that he has a love-hate relationship with Finland and it has to do with the winters here. I totally agree!!

3 comments:

  1. i want to read your book about how to get an american guy to marry you! you should totally write one.... you and scotti are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWW! Thank you!

    Not sure if I could give any good tips though... We just kinda ended up together... We weren't trying to find a person to marry... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds Good keep it up honey...:)

    ReplyDelete