I know how much everybody loves to stretch, right? No, most people I know hate stretching. That is why I want to start sharing good stretches every now and then. It is better to do at least one than nothing at all. I like to stretch, so I try to have time to do it at least 2-3 days per week. I usually stretch before bedtime while I'm watching TV.
Did you know that when done properly, stretching can do more than just increase flexibility. I listed some of the benefits of stretching:
-Enhanced physical fitness. Stretching leads to more muscle mass because when you are flexible you can use the most efficient range of motion when you work out. That leads to a better metabolism.
-Enhanced ability to learn and perform skilled movements.
-Increased mental and physical relaxation.
-Reduced risk of injury to joints, muscles, and tendons.
-Reduced muscular soreness and tension.
-Increased circulation of the blood to various parts of the body.
Today's stretch is one of my favorites because it helps my sore lower back. It also stretches your abs and is especially good if you have been exercising your abs and they are sore. And don't think that you can't do this because this is a stretch from yoga. Anyone can do this one regardless if they have been to yoga classes or not. So, there is no excuse for you to not stretch. I even put a learning video for you. Enjoy it!!
The stretch is called Snake pose.
1) Lie on your mat on your stomach, with your hands underneath your shoulders. Feel your body stretch from your feet to the crown of your head.
2) Press the tops of your feet into the mat.
3) Inhale and straighten your arms. If you can't straighten your arms all the way on the first time, do little by little. Check the video and it will show you how.
4) Hold the pose for approximately 30 seconds.
5) On an exhale, lower to the mat
No comments:
Post a Comment