Monday, October 10, 2011

Travel the world / Kajaani

Good morning!

What a dark and rainy morning it is in Kuopio. Temperature is about 6C / 43F.
This weekend my sisters and I went to Kajaani to visit our cousin. We had so much fun! Kajaani is a city up north, appx 170km from Kuopio. The population of the city is about 37900 people.

Jinx was with us too. He was happy to travel and slept almost all the way there and back ( I had to take pictures of him sleeping because he was so cute!). On Saturday we just hung out and caught up on things because we haven't all been together for a long time. On Sunday we took a walk along River Kajaani. We went to see the ruins of Kajaani castle (building of the castle started 1604). They were so cool!! I love old castles and ruins! We walked around there for at least an hour. We also went to see a huge wooden church (built 1725). I loved the windows of the church because they were old and uneven. Then we stopped by Finland's 5th largest lake called Lake Oulu. It looked huge. Too bad it wasn't sunny because it was really pretty there.
Here's some pictures from the trip.

Us in the car driving to Kajaani. Also couple pics from the castle area. The castle and its' surroundigs used to be a major military area.























































Here are the actual ruins.

The castle used to have an East and West wing. This is the East wing.

My sister and I front of the castle.


The castle used to be fairly tall. Now the ruins are only 2 stories high. On this drawing you can see the ruins and then the actual castle how it used to be.

Lay out of the castle.


Holes for cannons.

I loved the little door ways and steps.


Jinx had fun there too! He was curious to see what was in every nook of the castle.

I can't belive that people used to live in the castles. It must have been very cold and damp.


Moss growing on the castle wall.
I like this picture! My cousin actually took this one.






Every rock and stone is placed with such a detail. It must have taken lots of work to built this castle.
This is the old church I was talking about. It is made out of wood and it is pretty big.

Old grave stones.
The bell tower.

Old glass panels.
Jinx by the Lake Oulu.


That was a great trip! I haven't been to Kajaani before. I hope to visit there summer time too!

4 comments:

  1. Seemed like a fun trip. When are you gonna visit me in Helsinki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great trip! I'd love to come to Helsinki right away but I don't have the cash right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow it's gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is. I was surprised too! I have never been to Kajaani before.

    ReplyDelete