Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bake My Day / Chocolate Salami

Happy Wednesday!

I'm so glad this week is almost over and we get to enjoy Christmas soon! I will have 3 lovely days off from work because next Monday is the Boxing Day or the Second Christmas Day as we call it in Finland. And thank Lord that day is a national holiday (*wink*)!


To make sure we will have enough sweets to eat on all of the days of Christmas, I made a treat called Chocolate Salami couple days ago. I know it sounds weird but don't worry, it only looks like salami and tastes like chocolate! I found this yummy recipe on the Finnish women's magazine MeNaiset last Christmas. All my friends and family loved this weird sounding sweet so much that I had to make it again this year.

Chocolate Salami is an easy treat to make. You don't need to even bake it! Just mix up the ingredients , roll up the salami and let it "marinade" in the refrigerator for a day at least. If you let the salami to chill even longer, the taste just gets better. So if you are smart, you make this couple weeks before Christmas and then when others are frantically baking their treats on the very last minute, you just whip out your salami (*that sounds bit perverted, giggle*).

Another good thing about Chocolate Salami is that you can switch up the ingredients to your liking. The original recipe called for orange marmalade but this year I made mine with apricot preserve and then another batch with mint jelly. Almonds can be changed to any nut that you prefer, and who says you have to put in raisins because dried cherries or cranberries would probably taste great as well.

Here's what you will need:
-50g butter (half a stick for the US bakers)
-125g dark chocolate (little less than a cup)
-150g chopped almonds (about 2 cups)
-20 Marie cookies (10 graham crackers)
-½dl orange marmalade (about 1/4 cup)
-1½dl raisins (about a half a cup)
-2tbls rum (optional)
-powdered sugar

First you melt the butter and chocolate in a sauce pan on low heat. I actually melted mine in the microwave and it worked fine. You just need to check on it more often to make sure you don't nuke it too much.


Crumble the cookies/crackers coarsely and mix in the chocolate-butter melt. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until even.



Put the mix in the refrigerator too cool for a bit. Then take out a piece of plastic wrap and dust it with powdered sugar. Scoop out the batter on the plastic. You can either make one big salami or two smaller ones. I made two. I know this picture looks like a turd but it really isn't (*laugh*).
Shape the dough to look like salami by rolling it between the plastic.


Close tightly.

Here's my salamis ready to marinade in the refrigerator for few days.


After a day or more, take out the salami and roll it in powdered sugar. Slice and enjoy!!



Yummy, yummy in my tummy again!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment