How are you looking today? Did you wake up all pretty and well rested or did you wake up with a frown and big puffy bags under your eyes. Don't worry! You are not alone with the bags. Since there has been a lot of partying with the Holidays, a lot of people are suffering from frowns and puffy bags underneath their eyes. I can't help you with the frown besides just telling you to put it upside down (*wink*) but I can tell you a bit about under eye skincare.
You might wonder what got me to write about bags under your eyes. Well, the other day we were laughing with my friend's fiancee who was asking us girls how to get rid of the bags underneath his eyes. He had gotten the bags really bad. You could count three bags under each eye. Poor guy! He looked pretty rough. That got me thinking that not every guy is that brave to actually ask a girl what he could do about his puffy eyes. So, I figured I'll make a post for shy guys to read. I'm also sure that some girls will need this information too.
First of all, why do we get bags under under our eyes? Some people naturally have bags and there's nothing they can do about them besides surgery. That's just the luck of genetics.
Then others get the bags under their eyes because of allergies. Normal allergy medicine will help or at least minimize the symptoms. I get allergies every spring because I'm allergic to everything that grows outside, and that's why you could think that I'd love winter time but no... I get excited every spring for the summer ahead even though I get terrible allergies. But that's besides the point. Most of the time people have bags under their eyes because of their harsh lifestyle, and the bags are just extra fluid build-up under our eyes.
For example; here's me last week one morning. You can count two bags under my right eye!! Terrible! I only slept about 6 hours and that is not enough for me. My back was hurting and I couldn't sleep that well.
Thank goodness the bags were gone by the time I went to work. That is because I had a brisk 35 minute walk in the cold to get there. Walk in the Finnish cold morning will definitely perk you up no matter what. Bags underneath your eyes are gone plus you have rosy cheeks.
Here's my eight tips how to prevent under eye bags and 8 tips what do when you get the bags anyway.
How to prevent bags under your eyes:
1) Keep your body hydrated. Drink lots of water during day time. Don't drink too much right before bedtime because it might give you even worse bags under your eyes in the morning.
2) Reduce your salt intake because salt increases your fluid retention.
3) Get enough sleep, plus elevate your head with an extra pillow when you sleep because laying horizonrtally for long time can cause fluid build-up.
4) Eat&drink bananas, raisins, cabbage and cranberry juice because they help you get rid of fluid in your body.
5) Exercise regularly because that improves circulation which will help your body to move fluids around instead of letting them accumulate in one place.
6) Reduce your alcohol intake and quit smoking!
7) Watch out for sun exposure! Big and dark sunglasses aren't just celebrities because they protect the delicate skin around your eyes.
8) Make sure you get vitamin K because lack of it can cause dark under eyes. You can get vitamin K from broccoli, spinach and cabbage.
What do if you got the bags anyway:
1) Compress with something cool. Use chilled cucumber slices or tea bags if you have time to relax for 10-15 minutes. If you don't have time, do like I do, press your eyes gently with cool gel-pack meant for sports injuries. It works!
2) Drink water! Stay away from hot drinks because warm temperatures increase swelling.
3) Take a nap in an upright position.
4) No time for a nap, then you need a tap. Yes, you read read it right. If you have no time to nap then you should tap your eyes. Just lightly tap your upper and lower eye lids to nudge built-up fluids to circulate in other areas of your body.
5) Eat colorful vegetables and forget the salt.
7) Camouflage bags with a concealer but don't over do it. Otherwise you just end up looking like a clown that has nasty brownish makeup caked on puffy eyes. Not pretty, I repeat, Not pretty!
8) Take a brisk walk outside in the fresh air.
There you go! My tips for under eye skin care. I hope you liked it! :)
Have a great and de-puffed Monday!!


Numerous vitamins can be useful if you want to remove dark circles, such vitamins A, C, E, and K as well as iron. Majority of the topical creams contain these vitamins and applying them on your under eye area can keep in check those under eye circles.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the very useful information!
Delete