I actually managed to knit a pair of socks on my own. I haven't knitted socks since I was in high school and even then my mom helped me with the tricky parts. Now I decided that since Novita sent me such pretty yarns, that I must conquer myself and beat the fear of knitting socks.
Why was I so afraid knitting socks? Because of the horrible heel part. I had no clue how to do it. I could only knit tube socks (ha ha ha)! But this time I decided to learn how to make the heel, no matter what.
We are living in the age of internet and I figured that there must be a lot of online tutorials how to knit a sock, and there are. But I still had to consult at least five different tutorials in order to understand how to knit
the sock.
It seems like that explaining the process of knitting a sock is fairly difficult because I had trouble finding good instructions. But I think that once you have managed to made couple pairs of socks, they are actually pretty easy to make. Everybody just have to learn it the hard way I guess. There is a good saying in Finland; "oppia kantapään kautta". It literally means "to learn through the heel", meaning that once you do it the hard way, you will learn and know it after that really good. This is so true with knitting!
To make my colorful socks, I used Novita's Nalle Kukkaketo yarn. It is made out of 75% wool and 25% polyamide. It also has aloevera and jojoba oil to make the yarn really soft. You can wash this yarn in warm water (40C) but you should not use fabric softener because it will ruin the good qualities of aloevera and jojoba. One clew of yarn is enough to make a pair of socks for a woman.
I used size 3½ needles and they were slightly too big but I didn't have size 3 that the yarn actually calls for. But that's ok because now the socks are a bit looser and they are perfect for summer.
I actually named my socks "Midsummer socks / Juhannus-sukat" because they look like a flowery field at midsummer. And also because sometimes it is so cold in Finland that you might need wool socks even at midsummer.
Here's pictures from the heel part. I'm not going to make my own tutorial right now. Maybe sometime in the future. If you are looking for a tutorial, check out this guide with text and pictures or this one that has actual videos.
Yes! It is starting to look like a sock.
After I made both of the socks, I had some yarn left over, so I decided to make little pompoms. I used the Novita pompom maker that I bought a month ago. It is so easy to make pompoms with the maker!
Close up on the heel.
Pompoms.
For the ribbing I knitted one and purled one.
I can't believe I actually managed to knit a sock!
And the sock fits!
I'm so proud of myself.
The tips of the socks.
I like yarns that make a pattern by themselves.
That's it! My first pair of knitted socks! Woohoo! Now I can start knitting more socks, so that I can master the heel. I know that I can make even better socks but I think these are fairly good for a first time sock knitter. Happy knitting!
Oh, and happy International Women's Day to all the lovely ladies!!
















No comments:
Post a Comment