Thursday, March 29, 2012

Important Information About Moles And Skincare In General

Hello!

If you haven't noticed from my pictures yet, I have a ton of moles. I'm like Ms. Moleman (*giggle*). I have so many moles that my husband calls my skin the starry night sky, and one of my friends once told me that my back looks like a huge connect the dots- puzzle for kids. I was really selfconcious about my moles when I was younger but I have come to terms with them over the years. I didn't get offended about that connect the dots- joke. I actually just laughed and asked if my friend needed a pen to start connecting them darn dots.

I have a mole on my left cheek. It is my own beauty mark that I carry proudly. I have had it all my life.

Because I have so many moles, and a bad history of melanoma (deadliest type of skin cancer) in the family, I really need to keep an eye on my moles. If I notice any changes to any one of them, I need to go see a dermatologist. I go to the doctor's office once a year anyway, so a professional can check my moles too, and remove the ones that look different and suspicious.

Little moles on my arm.

I actually had my yearly appointment at my dermatologist's office yesterday, and that prompt me to share my knowledge about skin care with all of you. Everybody should know that even if you don't have a lot of moles, you should be mindful of your skin. It is after all the biggest organ in your body. WebMD has really good information on the website about skincare but if you don't have time to read it all, here are the most important things.

It is good to know that most moles are benign (non-cancerous). Moles that are of greater medical concern include those that look different than other existing moles or those that first appear in adulthood.
If you notice changes in a mole's color or appearance, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have moles checked if they bleed, ooze, itch, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. The most common location for melanoma in women is the lower leg and in men it is in the back.
Here are easy ABCDEs for keep in mind when you check your moles. If a mole displays any of the signs listed below, have it checked immediately by a dermatologist:

Asymmetry: One half of the mole does not match the other half
Border: The border or edges of the mole are ragged, blurred, or irregular
Color: The mole has different colors or it has shades of tan, brown, black, blue, white, or red
Diameter: The diameter of the mole is larger than the eraser of a pencil
Evolving: The mole appears different from others and/or changing in size, color, shape

Besides checking your skin and moles for any changes, it is also important to remember to protect your skin from the sun. Avoid direct prolonged exposure to the sun, especially between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun’s intensity is greatest. Remember to use sunscreen with a “Sun Protective Factor” (SPF) of at least 15 with both UVA and UVB protection. Apply sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before you go outside to allow the active ingredients to soak into the skin. Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours or more often if you are swimming or exercising. Good to know that the lower lip is a common spot for skin cancer to occur, so protect your lips by applying an SPF broad-spectrum lip balm.

My doctor removed one bigger mole on my neck. I often accidentally scratched the mole with hair brush, so now I won't have that problem.

Since the cut wasn't too big, I didn't need stitches. I only have to keep the cut covered and dry for 3 days.

There you go! Important information about skin care. Right now I'm on the hunt to find a good and non-sticky sunscreen to use this summer. I hate nothing more than lathering on smelly and gooey sunscreen. When I'll find one that is good, I'll make sure to share it with you guys.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your tips! I too have many moles. I have two next to my lips and two on my other cheek, actually more than you. I once had someone come up to me and ask what the moles next to my lips were! I'm only 14 but I live in Australia where the sun is harsh so I see my doctor for changes and so far everything's fine. I wear sunscreen when we do sport at school but people tease me for it. I'm always trying to find different ways to get the sunscreen on without anyone knowing. I go into the bathrooms, put it on and soak myself in deodorant before we go play sport. It was working before, but now people are noticing because the sunscreen is shiny. So I need to get sunscreen you can't see or smell. Hopefully the moisturizer with sun protection will do the trick! Cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you like my blog. Good luck with your moles. I know how you feel. You should try Hawaiian Tropic-sunscreens. They smell really YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete