Sunday, April 1, 2012

Don't Give Cherries To Pigs Or Advice To Fools

Happy April Fool's Day!!

According to National Geographic the origins of April Fools' Day are shrouded in mystery.
The most popular theory is that France changed its calendar in the 1500s so that the New Year would begin in January to match the Roman calendar instead of beginning at the start of spring, in late March or early April. However, word of the change traveled slowly, and many people in rural areas continued to celebrate the New Year in the spring. These country dwellers became known as "April fools," the story goes.
Some people believe that April Fools' Day simply grew out of age-old European spring festivals of renewal, in which pranks and camouflaging one's identity are common.

Today in France, April Fools' Day is called le poisson d'Avril—"the April fish"—and a classic prank is to stick a paper fish to an unsuspecting passerby's back.


Here are some fun sayings for April Fool's Day:
*This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four.  ~Mark Twain

*He who is born a fool is never cured.  ~Proverb

*We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.  ~Japanese Proverb

*It is the ability to take a joke, not make one, that proves you have a sense of humor.  ~Max Eastman

*Don't give cherries to pigs or advice to fools.  ~Irish Proverb

*You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that! ~Dave Barry

My sister sent me this picture of her dog some time ago, and when I read that last saying I thought  of this picture right away. Isn't he a silly dog!!

Anyway, I'm not doing any April Fool's Day pranks today and I hope I won't be fooled either. My plan for today is to take Jinx for a nice long walk since the sun is shining. Then I also want to do kettlebell with my friends. After all the sports, it is time to cheer KalPa to win against Espoo Blues. KalPa only needs one more win and they will then be in the semifinals. I hope they will win today!!

Other than that, it is just a normal Sunday with washing laundry at some point of the day, and eating something yummy in the evening! I like to treat myself on Sunday nights because I know that the boring Monday is right around the corner (*wink*).

No comments:

Post a Comment