Hello!
Since I froze fresh berries last fall, I have been able to eat them through out the year (*I have strawberries, blueberries, lingonberries, black current and sea buckthorn*). Summer is here soon though, and that means new berries will be growing again all over the Finnish forests. I need to eat up all my frozen treats to make room for new ones.
My favorite healthy berry treat to make is blueberry pie. I have made it few times this spring, and each time Jinx gets very excited. He seems to think I'm going to let him eat it (*silly dog!*).
I have a recipe that I have tweaked to make it healthier. I have substituted flour for whole wheat flour, halved the amount of sugar, as well as doubled the amount of blueberries. I also used protein rich fromage frais instead of plain yogurt. This pie tastes tangy but I find it delicious because I know it is good for me.
Here's the recipe:
-150g margarine or butter (*2/3 cups*)
-1dl sugar (*1/2 cups*)
-3dl whole wheat flour (*1 1/3 cups*)
-2tsp vanilla extract
-3-4 tbsp cold water
-3dl plain yogurt, vanilla yogurt or fromage frais (*1 1/3 cups*)
-2 eggs
-1/2dl sugar (*1/4 cup*)
-300-500g frozen berries (*2-7cups*)
-2 tbsp potato or corn starch
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and vanilla. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200C/390F. Press dough evenly into the bottom and sides of a pie plate.
Mix yogurt/fromage frais, eggs and sugar in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix berries with potato/corn starch. Combine these two mixtures and mix gently. Pour filling in the pie plate. Bake for appx 40 minutes. Let it chill and enjoy!
Once again Jinx, this pie is not for you. No matter how hard you keep begging for it. You have your own doggie treats. Take your wet little nose away from my pie, bugger off!

That's it for today. This coming up week I'll be busy eating pie (*giggle*), going to work, packing for my trip, getting my hair done and watching ice hockey world championship games. So, if you don't hear from me, you know I'm not ignoring you guys, I'm just a busy bee.
Have a nice day everyone! And Happy Mother's Day to all mothers!






No comments:
Post a Comment